[vtkusers] 3D Algorithms in VTK

Skotheim, Oystein oystein.skotheim at tecnalia.com
Mon Jan 21 09:17:59 EST 2013

Hello. VTK has a set of algorithms for processing of 3D data, but as far as I know, most of them are related to processing of 3D meshes or volumetric 3D data. If you are interested in processing and analysis of 3D point clouds, I encourage you to take a look at the Point Cloud Library (PCL) - see http://pointclouds.org

It contains a large amount of state of the art algorithms including [quote] filtering, feature estimation, surface reconstruction, registration, model fitting and segmentation.

As a side note, the visualization part of PCL is based on VTK.

Best regards,
--
Øystein Skotheim
Senior Researcher

TECNALIA
Department of Robotics. Industry & Transport Division Paseo Mikeletegi 7 - Parque Tecnológico
E-20009 Donostia - San Sebastián
http://www.tecnalia.com/

----