[vtkusers] How to force rendering of the scene from a callback function

Skotheim, Oystein oystein.skotheim at tecnalia.com
Fri Jan 18 08:36:48 EST 2013

I didn't get an answer last time, so I ask again:

I have a VTK-based Python application that is used for displaying 3D meshes on top of live video images (Augmented Reality). The application subscribes to an image stream from a camera with help of the ROS framework. That means, every time a new image comes in, a callback function is triggered that converts the incoming image data to vtkImageData format via the vtkImageImport class, and then attempts to re-render the scene.

However, it seems like the Render() function does nothing when called from such a callback function. (I have tried to call Render() both on the vtkRenderWindowInteractor and on the vtkRenderWindow). When I run Render() from the interactive Python prompt, however, the scene is correctly re-rendered.

So my question is: How can I force the system to re-render the scene from such an (external) callback function? Or how can I otherwise resolve this issue?

Best regards,
--
Øystein Skotheim
Senior Researcher

TECNALIA
Department of Robotics. Industry & Transport Division