[vtkusers] X11 CMake Errors on Mac

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 15:11:02 EST 2013

So VTK itself built fine?  It's just an example that fails to build?
The problem is most likely with the example.  Those wiki
examples are provided by the community (anyone can edit the
wiki) so I'm not sure how well-maintained they are.

>From the error that you are seeing, which says that the
symbol vtkEventQtSlotConnect::New cannot be found,
I can say that the target_link_libraries in the example's
CMakeLists.txt must be missing the QVTK library.  That's
the library that defines the missing function.

 - David

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM, Berkowitz, Benjamin M
<benjamin-berkowitz at uiowa.edu> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I uninstalled and reinstalled both Qt and VTK.  I tried building the EventQtSlotConnect example, and I'm getting this error:
>
> Linking CXX executable EventQtSlotConnect.app/Contents/MacOS/EventQtSlotConnect
>   "QVTKWidget::QVTKWidget(QWidget*, QFlags<Qt::WindowType>)", referenced from:
>       Ui_EventQtSlotConnect::setupUi(QMainWindow*) in EventQtSlotConnect.cxx.o
>   "vtkEventQtSlotConnect::New()", referenced from:
>       vtkSmartPointer<vtkEventQtSlotConnect>::New() in EventQtSlotConnect.cxx.o
> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
> make[2]: *** [EventQtSlotConnect.app/Contents/MacOS/EventQtSlotConnect] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/EventQtSlotConnect.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>

> Do you have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
>

> On Jan 4, 2013, at 12:10 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com>
>  wrote:
>
>> I should also mention: if you are using OS X 10.8, then you should
>> be using VTK 5.10.1 rather than VTK 5.10.  The .1 release included
>> some small fixes for OS X 10.8.
>>
>> - David
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Ben,
>>>
>>> Go with Qt 4.8.  Qt is what most people use with VTK.  Install the dmg
>>> file from digia (qt-mac-opensource-4.8.4.dmg) and then build your VTK
>>> with these CMake options:
>>>
>>> BUILD_SHARED=ON
>>> VTK_USE_COCOA=ON