[vtkusers] Library linking problem for use in a win32 project.

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 11:37:49 EST 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Vipul Pai <vpai at clemson.edu> wrote:
> Greeetings everyone,
>
> I am fairly new to vtk and have been using it for a week now. I used
> cmake to configure and generate a solution file for Visual Studio
> 2010. I then went on to build it and generate the libraries and dll's.
> I configure my project in the settings and provide all the correct
> paths as I do with any other library/ to the best of my knowledge. But
> when I try to run my code I get unresolved externals, classic LNK2019
> error for those of who are familiar with the IDE environment. As this
> was an issue I proceeded to run my code in one of the example projects
> and it did just fine. I have tried a bunch of different things, but
> can't seem to get it to work. I have gotten to the point where I need
> to integrate my code in the parent project which is a win32
> application.
>
> Any ideas about resolving the issue?

The best way to avoid problems is to generate your application's
project file using CMake instead of creating a New Project in Visual
Studio. However this requires that you spend a few hours and learn the
basics of CMake. I believe the best way to do this is to start looking
at the extensive set of vtk examples in the wiki. Every one of these
examples contain a CMakeLists.txt.

John

John