[vtkusers] Wrap a point cloud

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 07:31:41 EDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 5:49 AM, Paul McIntosh <paul.mcintosh at monash.edu> wrote:
> Would this example not be the solution also?
>
> http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/PolyData/ConvexHullShrinkWrap
>
> I am trying to apply it to filling holes in a scanned mesh. I am more concerned about my model being watertight as all the missing mesh was hidden from the scanner (there for not of interest to my CFD simulation as it is not in the flow).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul

Paul,

ConvexHullShrinkWrap will make a convex mesh, which is almost never a
good representation of a point cloud. That is, it totally ignores any
points that are "inside" the bounds of any other set of points. It's
easy enough to run - give it a try and see what you think on your
data. If it works, great, and it is much easier than building an
external package like Poisson Reconstruction.

David