[vtkusers] getting started

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Aug 23 10:44:23 EDT 2013

VTK is first and foremost a C++ library that you use to write applications
with. Thus all the focus on compiling.

The VTK library has wrappers that make the library callable from other
languages, such as Tcl, Java, Python, and sometimes C#. Which makes it much
easier to use.

vtk.exe is the tcl interpreter with VTK's tcl wrapper build into it. The
one inch square Tk window is a TclTk frame that you can make up a Tk GUI in
(as memory serves). The interesting part is the VTK cmd prompt, which is a
script interpreter. You can type commands in there like:
% require package vtk
% vtkRenderWindow renwin
% renwin Render
to start working with VTK
the above command will pop up a window containing an empty scene.

>From there you can build up arbitrary visualization pipelines.
You can also pass in files to vtk.exe containing complete scripts.
I'ld start with $VTKSOURCE/Examples/Tutoral/Step*/Tcl/Cone*.

5.8 was the last release we packages vtk.exe.
In 5.10 and 6.0 we didn't package an interpreter binary at all and just put
out the source code.
For 6.1 I am hoping to release vtkpython as part of the release process.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive