[vtkusers] getting started

Greg Hanowski greg at tekknow.net
Fri Aug 23 09:56:32 EDT 2013

Hi,

Just downloaded VTK6.0.0 and VTKDATA6.0.0.

Then I read "The installer for the Windows platform contains vtk.exe which
is essentially a wish.exe replacement that allows you to run VTK TCL scripts
without doing any other installation or configuration."  So I also
downloaded

vtk-5.8.0-win32-x86.exe
<http://www.vtk.org/files/release/5.8/vtk-5.8.0-win32-x86.exe>

and installed it.  When I run vtk.exe I get a little 1" square window with
nothing in it, no menus, no options.

I also checked the FAQ as I would expect this would be the very first and
most FAQ.  Nothing.

I also read the README.html in the VTK6.0.0 folder.  It's all about
compiling VTK source code and nothing about running from vtk.exe.

Can anybody point me to documentation that explains how to run a VTK TCL
script using vtk.exe?

Thank you,

Greg