[vtkusers] Strange Bug - CT image turns into bubbles or fibers

Chris Cooper chris.cooper at veranmedical.com
Thu Aug 15 12:12:26 EDT 2013

We have a relatively simple pipeline that most just extracts the region of interest for display:

itk::Image<4>
itk::ExtractImageFilter<4D, 3D>
itk::RegionOfInterestImageFilter
itk::ImageToVTKImageFilter
vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper->vtkVolume and vtkOutlineFilter->vtkPolyDataMapper->vtkActor
vtkRenderer
vtkCocoaRenderWindow

As the user moves the mouse, we construct a new itk::RegionOfInterestImageFilter and pop it into the pipeline.  This works fine for a lot of mouse motion, but after some amount of time the image freaks out and changes from a nice zoomed view of a CT image to something resembling bubbles or tendrils (see attached image for one example).

We're using vtk 5.8.0, right now upgrading isn't really an option due to business constraints.  We have the same problem with a different application that is using a similar pipeline but an older version of vtk.

I've gone over the code with a fine-tooth comb and can't find anything suspicious.

Any suggestions about what might cause this behavior?  Has anybody seen this kind of output before?

Thanks,
Chris