[vtkusers] How to do vtkMultiBlockDataSet coloring based on blocks in VTK 6.0?

Chao Liang chaolian at mtu.edu
Wed Aug 7 23:01:12 EDT 2013

Hello,
I am now using VTK 6.0 with C++. The reason I switch from VTK 5.7 to VTK
6.0 is because Kitware announces that in VTK 6.0, it has capability to set
colors on different blocks for one vtkMultiBlockDataSet without copying
data (e.g. using vtkExtractGrid() in VTK 5.7) My case is:

I have a vtkMultiBlockDataSet, say, it has 1000 blocks. I want to set
different colors, different line widths, etc. to different blocks in this
data set. One way I can think of is that I can use vtkExtractGrid in VTK
5.7 to get the block or blocks I want to color, then make them as a new
vtkMultiBlockDataSet, then I can do whatever I want to the new created
vtkMultiBlockDataSet. But the drawback of this way is that its cost would
be high if I deal with a huge data set.

In VTK 6.0, can anyone provide some solution or comment or ideas how to do
this directly on this multiBlockDataSet without copying any data?
Thanks in advance and any reply is very appreciated.
Best,
Chao