[vtkusers] Can VTK be used with Codegear XE4 compilers???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 09:40:13 EDT 2013

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 00:16:40 +0200, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:

>But I have no idea what/where/how this shall be working, just trying
>to follow a cook-book document. :-(

Now I have started over and this time I downloaded the latest release
sources for VTK (5.10.1).
I extracted these to a separate location on the disk:
C:\Engieering\VTK5.10.1
Then I changed the environment variable VTKSRC to point to this
location. I left the env var VTKBIN to point to the binary output
folder, which I cleared of earlier content.

So I now had:
- sources in dir VTK5.10.1
- an empty output directory C:\Engineering\VTK\BIN
- Env var VTKSRC set to C:\Engieering\VTK5.10.1
- Env var VTKBIN set to C:\Engineering\VTK\BIN
- Using CMake latest version

When I started CMake it asked me to Browse source, so I set it to
C:\Engieering\VTK5.10.1 (strange that it did not pick it up from the
env var)
The output dir was set correctly (from the env var???)

After this I hit the Configure button and could select the "Borland
Makefiles" generator.
When I hit finish I had the same fatal error again in the linking
step:

Fatal: Expected an option: LC:\Programs\Embarcadero\RAD
Studio\11.0\lib

Now the strange thing is that in the top pane there are two items,
both marked in red:
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE = Debug  (I don't know why, I want it to be Release)
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX = C:\Program Files(x86)/VTK  (why this?????)

The last item I have no clue what it is used for and how CMake came to
set it like that because that path does not even exist on my computer
and I don't know what it would be used for either. You are not allowed
to put working files or the like into this directory tree by Microsoft
standards.....
What should it be set to????

In any case it seems like I am missing some crucial item here and this
time I have used the latest versions of both the VTK sources and
CMake.

What else could I do?
The suggestion to try and compile something else does not mean much to
me since I am not a C++ programmer, I just want the VTK engine for my
RAD Studio XE4 program...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden