[vtkusers] VTK, color consistency and ICC profiles (and recent color summit)

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Thu Aug 1 20:42:22 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I can imagine a few places where color profiles *might* be useful:

+ Adapting vtkScalarsToColors to the gamut of a particular output device to help prevent misleading renderings. Having a lookup table that mapped perceived color differences to actual differences (either in scalar value or cdf rank) would be a nice initial visualization to provide. Perceptual differences vary across devices, so color profiles would be part of that.
+ As an image filter to process either externally-acquired images or prepare VTK renderings for output devices such as printers.
+ I agree with David Gobbi that at least preserving color profiles would be useful.

	David