[vtkusers] VTK, color consistency and ICC profiles (and recent color summit)

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 19:47:10 EDT 2013

Hi David,

It's hard to say where color profiles would be used in VTK itself.
VTK doesn't even do gamma.  As far as I know, all ops in VTK
assume a linear scale and there isn't even a VTK filter to convert
the gamma of a photo to unity before operations like interpolation
or image addition/subtraction.

Neither does vtkImageData have a data field where things like
the gamma or color profile could be stored, and I don't see it as
a high priority to add such fields.  But I do agree that it would
be very nice if the image readers could report whatever info they
can get from the image header.

For saving images, most images saved from VTK are the result
of rendering geometrical objects via OpenGL, and I believe that
OpenGL assumes a linear intensity scale and is agnostic with
respect to color profile.  So would we assume that these
rendered images should be saved with an sRGB profile, since
most monitors should nominally be sRGB?

It would be nice if the VTK image writers had a method by which
one could set the color profile to be stored in the file header, but
I believe that handling of color profiles should be done at the
application level, and VTK should in general be agnostic.

I'm biased, though, because I deal mainly with MR and CT, and
when I use color it's qualitative.  I'd be glad to hear additional
opinions, though.

 - David