[vtkusers] fails to compile vtk for linux 64

Michal Szostakiewicz creed at icm.edu.pl
Mon Apr 22 08:43:22 EDT 2013

> I am compiling with wrap Java but I have no idea what the -fPIC is all
> about. I recompiled the 32 bit version with no problems (3 or 4 times just
> to be sure).

It look like this Java wrap has something to do with that, without it VTK
should compile just fine.
Anyway I believe I had the same problem, I googled and got:
http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2012-February/121489.html
which resolved this -fPIC problem...
In short: you should also enable SHARED_LIBS building.

Hope it works for you too.

To the developers of VTK: I don't know anything about CMake, but perhaps
there's some option to force SHARED_LIBS when enabling Java wrap?

Best regards,
Michał