[vtkusers] fails to compile vtk for linux 64

Ilan Tal ilan.tal at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 05:14:52 EDT 2013

Hi,
I am using vtk on my Ubuntu 32 bit machine for quite some time. I wanted to
compile vtk for another computer using Ubuntu 64 bit and I can't get it to
fly.
I deleted CMakeCache.txt so as to start over but that doesn't help. After
1/2 hour of compilation it stops at:

[ 19%] Building CXX object
Common/CMakeFiles/vtkCommonJava.dir/vtkArrayJava.cxx.o
[ 19%] Building CXX object
Common/CMakeFiles/vtkCommonJava.dir/vtkJavaUtil.cxx.o
Linking CXX shared library ../bin/libvtkCommonJava.so
/usr/bin/ld: ../bin/libvtkCommon.a(vtkAbstractArray.cxx.o): relocation
R_X86_64_32 against `.bss' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
../bin/libvtkCommon.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
make[2]: *** [bin/libvtkCommonJava.so.5.10.1] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Common/CMakeFiles/vtkCommonJava.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I am compiling with wrap Java but I have no idea what the -fPIC is all
about. I recompiled the 32 bit version with no problems (3 or 4 times just
to be sure).

Does anyone have vtk compiled for linux64? Any suggestions on what I can
try? I am really stuck.

Thanks,
Ilan