[vtkusers] Minimum distance between two vtkPolyData objects?

jozzas jozzas at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 11 18:15:22 EDT 2013

Hi, I'm trying to determine the minimum distance between two vtkPolyData
objects (assume two simple cubes for now). There are algorithms like GJK
that do this, and I was hoping that something like this already exists in
VTK, but I can't seem to find anything. Note that I'm not interested in
collision detection - just determining the distance between vtkPolyData
objects.

I've tried using vtkDistancePolyDataFilter, but this appears to calculate
the distances between pairs of vertices, and so does not actually calculate
the true minimum distance in all cases. It can be quite inaccurate if, for
example, the closest distance vector between two objects intersects an
edge or face of one or both of them.

Can anyone point to something in VTK that can do this, or will I be forced
to implement some form of GJK-like algorithm myself?

Cheers,

John