[vtkusers] graphics performance on mac os 10.8.3

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Apr 11 12:26:21 EDT 2013

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 15:38:55 +0000, O'Shea, James said:

>Has anyone had any issues running vtk on the latest iMacs (os version
>10.8.3)?  We recently bought a new iMac and the graphics performance is
>poor when dealing with large models.  Interaction is choppy and barely
>tolerable, but the same input file runs smoothly on an older macbookpro
>laptop.  The graphics card on the imac is newer and should be more
>powerful, so I'm not sure why graphics performance on the laptop would
>be better.   I also tested paraview and the same issues exist.

No offense, but what kind of answer do you expect here?  You don't say what version of VTK, you don't say what GPU model worked well, and which worked poorly, you don't say exactly which VTK features you are exercising, etc.

I'd suggest you create a small test case that reproduces the problem, then run Instruments.app to see if can help you identify bottlenecks.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com