[vtkusers] VTK Plane Distance from Point to Plane

Rafay Khan rafayk_ at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 5 09:01:19 EDT 2013

Hey guys,
I was wondering if you guys knew if  "vtkPlane::DistanceToPlane(double [3])" returns the shortest distance to a the plane or does it return the distance from the input point to the origin?
I would like to find the shortest (perpendicular) distance from a point in 3d space to the plane. I do not have the value of the point on the plane that is perpendicular to the point in space.
Is there a vtk function that can give me this point on the plane(though it is not necessary I have this point, I am really only concerned with the distance to the plane). I'd rather not write a function to do this.
Rafay