[vtkusers] SetCutPlane not working in vtkImageResliceMapper

Debjit Ghosh dghosh at chla.usc.edu
Wed Apr 3 16:15:11 EDT 2013

Hi David,

Using GetMatrix() in place of converting Euler to Rotation Matrix definitely
helped take care of the direction of rendered image – thank you for your
advice! :)

However, the tip of the slice still moves around the screen as I change my
sensor orientation [refer attached images], and I see now that my problem
was two fold.

At first I thought the cause was rotating the volume around the tip of the
cone (dimX/2, dimY/2, 0) and not its origin, but it isn't just that.

To ensure that I have explained the issue clearly, I have attached 3 images.
Each of these 3 images have 3 screen shots at different orientations of the
sensor. The 3 images have been acquired for the following settings:

1) Before the volume was rotated - the rendered image is nicely centered
2) After rotating volume by (17,-123,37) about the tip of the cone and not
origin
3) After transforming the viewup vector (initialized as {0,0,1}) using
GetMatrix, MultiplyPoint

>From these images I hope you are able to clearly see the issue where now,
the viewing direction has been corrected but the tip of the rendered image
is not centered. Why would you think that is?

I tried a lot of the following combinations to no vain:
- Projecting the view up vector onto the plane before using it on the camera
:(
- Multiplying the focal point, position of the camera with the new viewup
vector :(
- Multiplying the center of volume with the matrix from the actor :(

I have literally been going brute force about everything because I know I
can't modify the camera's focal point or position because they would
actually affect the slicing plane's position/orientation and has little to
do with the position of the rendered image....

1) Before the volume was rotated - the rendered image is nicely centered

<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5719812/Before_rotating_the_volume.jpg>

<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5719812/After_rotating_volume_by_%2817%2C-123%2C37%29_about_the_tip_of_the_cone_and_not_origin.jpg>

<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5719812/After_using_GetMatrix_and_multiplying_the_view_up_vector.png>