[vtkusers] Status of Python 3 wrapping support

Marco Nawijn nawijn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 09:40:05 EDT 2013

Hi David,

Well, to be honest, there is no strict requirement to use Python 3
at the moment. On the other hand, developments on the 2.7 branch
are stopped (although bug-fixes and support will remain for a while).

All other packages we use (numpy/matplotlib/lxml etc.) have now been
ported to Python 3, so for me it is about time to make the transfer. As
mentioned in my first e-mail, VTK is the only package holding me back.

When the time comes (for you) feel free to contact me. For sure I can
help (and are willing) to make the tests and examples work for both
versions. I can also help in building the wrapper code itself, but I would
need a little help to get started.

Would it be an idea to make a wiki entry for the wrapping with the steps
outlined and some status/planning information for each step?

Regards,

Marco