[vtkusers] vtkNamedColors

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 22:21:37 EDT 2012

Hi All,
Just letting you all know, you can now reference colors by name as there is
a new class in VTK called vtkNamedColors.
Note: This class is only in the development version of VTK (VTK 6.0).

So you can now do things like this:
ren->SetBackground(namedColors->GetColor3d("AliceBlue").GetData());
Of course the VTK color names such as "lavender_blush" are also supported.

I have added a C++ and a Python example to the VTK Examples Wiki.
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Visualization/NamedColors
and
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Python/Visualization/NamedColors

If you have time please have a look at the examples, and, if you have any
suggestions for improving them I would appreciate the feedback.

Acknowledgements and thanks go to to Marcus Hanwell, Bill Lorensen and
David Thompson for their input and suggestions.

Regards
   Andrew
Andrew J. P. Maclean