[vtkusers] Support of C++ Builder with VTK 5.10 and newer

Jon Payne jpayne at hgl-dynamics.com
Wed Sep 5 13:09:57 EDT 2012

On 04/09/2012 21:41, James Johnston wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've previously been using VTK 5.4.2 with Borland C++ Builder 5.  This
> configuration has been compiled without any issues.  Of course, both these
> products are looking rather old and so I'm looking to update our projects.
> Now, I've been trying to compile VTK 5.10 in Embarcadero C++ Builder XE2.
> Unfortunately this has not been without issues.  Searching online, the
> last/only I can find mention of using newer versions of VTK in C++ Builder
> is:

Hi James,

I believe C++ Builder is not supported. However even if that is the case
it is easy to fix the various compilation errors for C++ Builder 2010
and VTK 5.8.

However XE and XE2 C++ support regressed (!) and I do not know whether
it is easy or not to fix the errors for those versions. XE3 I believe
has fixed some of those bugs and so may be back to 2010 standards of C++
support but I'll only be trying it out in a few months time (once
various third-party packages have XE3 support).

XE3.5 or whatever it will be called will also have a clang based 64bit
compiler which obviously will be much more C++ compliant.

Cheers,
Jon