[vtkusers] Really need help on volume rendering!!

Jose Miguel Espadero josemiguel.espadero at urjc.es
Sat Oct 27 06:34:50 EDT 2012

Hi Crystal,

Maybe the problem is that you are trying to see a single image,
and you need several to create a volume.

I have been able to make your code work by just changing the reader to:

dicomReader = vtk.vtkDICOMImageReader()
#dicomReader.SetDirectoryName('/home-nfs/local/VANDERBILT/lib12/pythonGPUdata/55.dcm')
dicomReader.SetDirectoryName('dcmDir')
dicomReader.Update()
dataSpacing = dicomReader.GetDataSpacing()
dimensions = dicomReader.GetOutput().GetDimensions()
print dimensions

The contents of dcmDir are the images in the file:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/File:VTK_Examples_StandardFormats_Input_DicomTestImages.zip

I have try to duplicate your image (55.dcm) several times, but it does not
work. Maybe the
problem is in your data.

Hope this helps.