[vtkusers] bugs on Qt wiki Examples

Juan Cardelino juan.cardelino at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 00:27:04 EDT 2012

Dear all,
            These days I started trying the Qt examples on the wiki
and it was really hard at first. Now that I have them working, I would
like to point out some issues I found.
1) For a long time ITK and VTK user, it is faster and more comfortable
to use the examples from GIT rather than from the wiki. When I got the
examples from git I found two issues:
a) The qt examples and the wiki are not in sync. At first I couldn't
make them work, because I didn't know some files where generated from
the .ui file, which BTW is missing from the git repo.
b) The qt examples are not built by default and I did not find an easy
way to enable them. Maybe the missing .ui file is related to this
issue.
c) either a) and b) are correct, or I am missing something. If I'm
missing something, this means that we need a better documentation to
make whats needed clear.
2) After failing with the git examples, I've fallen back to the wiki.
Once copy/pasted everything I found out two problems:
a) On osx with cmake 2.8.6, it will fail, because some escape
sequences were missing. See the following post for an explanation:
http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtk-developers/2012-May/011548.html.
Using cmake 2.8.9 the problem is gone.
b) The CMakeLists.txt is incorrect. The line: TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(
RenderWindowUIMultipleInheritance QVTK ) does not work. I don't have
libQVTK on any of my systems. It should read: TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(
RenderWindowUIMultipleInheritance ${VTK_LIBRARIES} ${QT_LIBRARIES} )
or at least:
TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES( RenderWindowUIMultipleInheritance
${VTK_LIBRARIES} ). I did not test the second one.

All those minor issues are really a stopper for a newcomer to Qt, even
being proficient in Cmake and VTK. I'm not asking for any work, but
offering it. I volunteer to correct those minor things. It passed some
time since I contributed examples so I don't remember the proper way
to correct them. Is directly the wiki the proper place?
The cmake issue in particular, made me think about the necessity of
adding a little readme to the each example, or at least to the whole
wiki section. Is there a standard way to do it? Because that cmake
issue will occur in every Qt example and putting a small notice could
help the newcomer.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
                    Juan