[vtkusers] How to visualize an ITK field using vtkGlyph3D

Ariel Hernán Curiale curiale at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 03:28:12 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to do a simple task in VTK but I can't to do that. I want to show a deformation field over an image using vtkGlyph3D oriented by the deformation field.

I have this data type:

1) itk::Image<itk::Vector<float,3> ,3> deformationField
2) itk::Image<short,3> image

I did this:
1) Convert the image to vtkDataImage using ImageToVTKImageFilter.
2) Create an arrow using vtkArrowSource.
3) Create a glyph3D using vtkGlyph3D.
4) Set the arrow into the glyph3D using the method SetSource provided by vtkGlyph3D.

My problems are:
1) I don't know if exist an easy way to convert the an itk field into a vtkPolyData or I just need to fill an empty vtkPolyData structure.
2) If I can convert the field into a vtkPolyData and set into the vtkGlyph3D using the method SetInput what I need to do to add the vtk image and render the glyph3D over the image ?

I'd really appreciate any help or guide you could give me.

Thanks