[vtkusers] Convert vtkImageData to vtkPolyData

Boehm, Lukas Lukas.Boehm at cellent.de
Mon Nov 19 06:42:14 EST 2012

Hello,

I've got the following situation: In the past I had to visualize some isolines with vtkMarchingSquares filter. The input data for this filter was a vtkImageData object. The vtkAlgorithmOutput object, which is generated by vtkMarchingSquares, was clipped by using vtkExtractPolyDataGeometry.

So the pipeline was: vtkImageData => vtkMarchingSquares => vtkExtractPolyDataGeometry

Now I want to visualize the same data as a heatmap. So I take the image data and pass it to vtkDataSetMapper for visualization. The pipeline is: vtkImageData => vtkDataSetMapper

This works also fine. Now I want to clip this heatmap, like I did with the output from vtkMarchingSquares. But I get the following error when using vtkExtractPolyDataGeometry:

ERROR: In ..\..\..\..\vtksource-prefix\src\vtksource\Filtering\vtkDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx, line 827
vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline (188AEF28): Input for connection index 0 on input port index 0 for algorithm vtkExtractPolyDataGeometry(188AEEC8) is of type vtkImageData, but a vtkPolyData is required.

Pipeline is here: vtkImageData => vtkExctractPolyDataGeometry => vtkDataSetMapper

So it tells me, I've got to convert the vtkImageData to vtkPolyData. Is this right? How can I convert this?

If you did not understand my problem, feel free to ask. I'll try to explain it better :)

Kind regards,
Lukas