[vtkusers] can a programmable source be made "time aware"

Gerrick Bivins gbivins at objectreservoir.com
Fri May 25 09:53:35 EDT 2012

Hi all,
First off, sorry for the "cross post". I wasn't sure if this was a request
for functionality or just an FAQ type question.

If have a custom reader written in java is it possible to make a
vtkProgrammableSource to wrap it that is "time aware"?
I saw this wiki entry:
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Here_are_some_more_examples_of_simple_ParaView_3_python_filters.#Producing_Data_with_Timesteps_.28Source.29

But it's not clear to me how this make the source time aware. My
understanding is that the source needs to implement
RequestInformation and RequestData to handle time steps requested by the
executive. I can't tell from the example
1) if or how it is implementing the RequestInformation and RequestData
2) If this same pattern is applicable in java
3) do these only work in paraview, ie can I replicate this somehow in a VTK
app

Thanks in advanced

Gerrick