[vtkusers] How to render spherical function (or deform sphere)

Jana Sefcikova neollie at gmail.com
Fri May 25 09:09:54 EDT 2012

Dear users,

I would like model spherical function in vtk, which vkt algorithm would be
appropriate ? (for example s.t like this
http://dbm.neuro.uni-jena.de/imas/spherical_harmonic_basis_functions.en.jpg)

Details: I would like sample sphere and modify point coordinates by moving
it along normal at the point by precomputed scalar.
I found usefull following example
http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=Examples/Modelling/Python/expCos.pybecause
it looks that I could use sphere instead of plane.  But I do not
want sample sphere as is generated by SphereSource, I have own function
that chooses points on sphere, therefore I would need firstly somehow
generate such sphere polydata.

Is there some spherical function oriented vtk approach ?

Thanks in advance
Jana