[vtkusers] Activiz / vtkOutputWindow

Jean-Hugues Royer jhroyer at joher.com
Thu May 24 07:49:06 EDT 2012

Hi,

> i worked hard for you the last two hours. ;-)

Thanks again :)

> For Debug Messages no events are generated unfortunately.
> But: If you use a vtkFileOutputWindow all debug messages (beside error and
> warning messages) are written into the logfile as well. So, you could
> write
> your own "file observer" to handle new messages appended to the
> logfile and
> show it in your own window or textcontrol.

I thought about doing this at first but this was so ugly that I was
happy you gave me the ErrorEvt trick, I prefer to forget debug messages...

> > When I try to turn DebugOn() to trigger debug text I get no event and a
> > memory read error on exit.
>
> Like I said before no events will be generated for debug messages. On
> which
> vtkObject do you call DebugOn()?

I was calling DebugOn() on the vtkFileOutputWindow instance, was it the
good way to turn global debug on ?

> > And finally, if I use vtkOutputWindow instead of vtkFileOutputWindow, I
> > get the ErrorEvt events but the window still appears, do you happen to
> > know how to disable the window with vtkOutputWindow ?
>
> I tried everything during the last two hours. There is no way to
> instantiate
> a new vtkOutputWindow and disable it afterwards without criminal hacks.
> But if you instantiate a new vtkOutputWindow and call
> vtkOutOputWindow.SetInstance(<your new vtkOutputWindow instance>) the
> window
> will be resizable and don't show the hourglass all the time. A little
> progress is better than nothing, isn't it?

Also did everything possible without any success.

Catching errors with a vtkFileOutputWindow ErrorEvt is working perfectly
and is enough for what I need, I don't even specify any file and it works !

> P.S.: Why you did start a new thread on this issue?

I didn't find any JIRA for activiz to report the problem, do you think I
should really make a new thread in the mailing list for it or this
thread will be read by devs ?

Regards.