[vtkusers] Activiz / vtkOutputWindow

Jochen jochen.kling at email.de
Wed May 23 15:08:58 EDT 2012

Hi Jean,

i worked hard for you the last two hours. ;-)

> Do you know if ErrorEvt will catch only error or also warning and debug ?

the ErrorEvt catches errors only.

> I have seen WarningEvt also but there seems to be no DebugEvt ?

Warnings can be catched the same way you do in the ErrorEvt-Handler.

For Debug Messages no events are generated unfortunately.
But: If you use a vtkFileOutputWindow all debug messages (beside error and
warning messages) are written into the logfile as well. So, you could write
your own "file observer" to handle new messages appended to the logfile and
show it in your own window or textcontrol.

> When I try to turn DebugOn() to trigger debug text I get no event and a
> memory read error on exit.

Like I said before no events will be generated for debug messages. On which
vtkObject do you call DebugOn()?

> And finally, if I use vtkOutputWindow instead of vtkFileOutputWindow, I
> get the ErrorEvt events but the window still appears, do you happen to
> know how to disable the window with vtkOutputWindow ?

I tried everything during the last two hours. There is no way to instantiate
a new vtkOutputWindow and disable it afterwards without criminal hacks.
But if you instantiate a new vtkOutputWindow and call
vtkOutOputWindow.SetInstance(<your new vtkOutputWindow instance>) the window
will be resizable and don't show the hourglass all the time. A little
progress is better than nothing, isn't it?

Hope that helps a bit.

with kind regards
Jochen

P.S.: Why you did start a new thread on this issue?