[vtkusers] Performance with huge number of actors

Jochen jochen.kling at email.de
Tue May 22 14:56:32 EDT 2012

Hi,

surely there are more ways to achieve your goal then the way I describe as
follows:

I would recommend using one vtkActor with a dataset of vtkPolyData and a
vtkPolyDataMapper. The spheres then could be represented as a vtkGlyph3D
object (as the source for your Glyph3D object use a vtkSphereSource).

To reposition the spheres just change the vtkPolyData-point positions (via
function SetPoint()). The spheres(glyphs) will automatically follow.

To scale the spheres add a scalar array to your vtkPolyData object, make the
glyph3D object to scale each glyph by calling
glyph3D.SetScaleModeToScaleByScalar() and update the scalar array each
frame.

I know this is just a very brief description how to achieve your goal. There
are a few things to take care to make this work, but on the other hand I
know for sure the performance will be much better than using thousands+ of
vtkActors - so any effort using glyphs to represent your points will be
worth it.

Let me know if you need more help. I will gather more detailled information
and/or example code on this.

with best regards
Jochen