[vtkusers] Performance with huge number of actors

piccolodream u.kemloh at fz-juelich.de
Tue May 22 12:39:28 EDT 2012

Hello,
I have been working with vtk lately and I have a question, merely a design
question.
I want to visualise data that change over time, something like a video
playback.
The data are coordinates (x,y,z) with some attributes e.g a sphere radius, a
colour and some text.
Usually I have 20.000 data points to visualise per frame.

Hier is how I proceeded so far:

At the beginning of the programme
I created lets say 20000 spheres objects with their actors and added them to
the rendering window. The actors are also stored in an array.
At each frame, I pick up the actors from the array where they are stored and
I just
update the new attributes (radius, colour,...). After I call the render
function on the rendering window.

For a few number of actors (~1000) I have a decent performance (zooming,
rotating,...),
almost in real time. But when the number of actors increases, the
performance is really bad.

My questions are the following:

* Is it the common procedure for visualising that type of data? If not
please
tell me what appraoch you would use.

* Are there any mechanisims to manage many objects with a single actor?
This will hopefully improve the performance. Just give me some keywords. I
will do the rest.

Dear  VTK programmers, I will be very happy to get any advices from you.
I ve been using vtk-5.4

Thank you in advance.

Piccolo