[vtkusers] Linux VTK Installation : About VTK packages in the Linux repositories.

Sebastien sebastien.calvi at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 10:02:40 EDT 2012

Hello Sathish,

Yes it is nice to install it from the package manager, the little shade to
the picture if I might say is that right this moment the version that you
will install through the package-manager is 5.6, Vtk is presently at release
5.8 and 5.10 should show up anytime soon...

All of that being said, I work under Ubuntu 11.04 and building the vtk libs
is quite easy (I use cmake-gui), not only that but after doing it a couple
of time it gets even pretty easy to retrieve the nightly version for example
(like that you get all the last improvements) and build and install it :)

Sebastien.