[vtkusers] Setting the axis titles in vtkChartXY

Frese Daniel Dr. frese at heidenhain.de
Mon Mar 19 08:04:55 EDT 2012

Hi,

some time ago I had the same/very similar issues (setting axis title in a chart); just can't find the exact mailing list reference right now.
The point is, that mixing release/debug stuff with Microsoft Visual Studio is always unsafe and not recommended (the Microsoft docs explicitly advise you not to do it). There is no guarantee that stuff will work properly. For some reason though, it works kind of OK for most of VTK (although as said, use it at your own risk), but in particular some of the vtkChartXY stuff is failing explicitly (i.e. it throws exceptions). As said, this should not be considered a failure on the vtk side, but is rather due to incorrect linking.

The only viable solution is to rebuild vtk also in debug mode and link the debug version of vtk to your debug-compiled app, and the release compiled version of vtk to your release-compiled app. After this I had now more trouble with stuff like this.

Daniel