[vtkusers] Project crashes when linked to v5.8+, works with v5.6

Dženan Zukić dzenanz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 07:21:47 EDT 2012

I solved the problem using advice from this post:
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Updating-and-destroying-the-pipeline-tp1243833p1243834.html

The crucial change is to make a copy disconnected from the pipeline (bold).

typedef itk::ImageToVTKImageFilter<VisualizingImageType> itkVtkConverter;
itkVtkConverter::Pointer conv=itkVtkConverter::New();
conv->SetInput(reader->GetOutput());

*conv->Update();*
*vtkSmartPointer<vtkImageData> vtkImage =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkImageData>::New();*
*vtkImage->ShallowCopy(conv->GetOutput());*

vtkSmartPointer<vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper> mapper =
 vtkSmartPointer<vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper>::New();
mapper->SetInput(vtkImage);
volume->SetMapper( mapper );