[vtkusers] Rendering tests and software rendering

Kilgus, Thomas t.kilgus at Dkfz-Heidelberg.de
Fri Mar 2 11:40:11 EST 2012

Hi there,

I implemented an automatic rendering test (using a VTK testing macro) which just loads a 5x5 pixel test image and renders it into a render window.

In general, the test works very well, but I discovered that if the user establishes a VPN connection before the DartClient execution, the test will fail.

You can see the result of a failed test on our dashboard here:
http://cdash.mitk.org/testDetails.php?test=2711617&build=105036

I think that VPN blocks some OpenGL features and as a consequence VTK has to use software rendering and has to rescale the 5x5 pixel image to the next power of pixel size which is 8. You can see on the images, that the TestImage clearly has a resolution of 8x8 for some reason.

Can anyone give me more information about this? Is my theory correct? How could I avoid this behavior? Would it help if I would use Mesa software rendering to perform the test?

Regards
Thomas