[vtkusers] Is it possible to generate the VTK Java Wrapper ans dynamic libraries with minimal classes?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Sat Jun 23 06:42:32 EDT 2012

In vtk 5, you have only 17 "kits" (vtkRendering, vtkIO, vtkInfoVis etc) to
choose from. So you can't easily get the really small library you seek. You
could of course rip things out from the source code and its cmakelists.txt
files manually but that is tedious.

Vtk 6 is designed to do what you want. It will have a much finer
granularity, with more than 100 "modules" to choose from and better
documented dependencies among them. So I suggest you star with git master
and try what will become vtk 6.

On Saturday, June 23, 2012, Sathish wrote:

>  Dear Brieda,
>
> Thanks for your response. According to your suggestion I need to add all
> the dll files to jar. But I expect only dlls that required by my
> application. Consider the requirement is only for a single platform.
>
> For example, I am using vtkCanvas, vtkDICOMImageReader,
> vtkPiecewiseFunction and few other classes in my program. But now I need
> all the VTK DLLs should be in the library path. Because they are linked
> each other. But what I am expecting is, to build the VTK with less classes
> and generate Java wrapper only for those classes.
>
> *I just want the compact version of VTK with selected classes *(Customized
> compilation).
>
> By this I can reduce wrapper size and avoid whole VTK compilation.
>
> Hope now you can clearly understand my requirements.
>
> --
> Sathish
>
> On Friday 22 June 2012 06:12 PM, Lubos Brieda wrote:
>
>  Sathish, you can include the VTK wrapper the DLLs in your jar file and
> deploy them on loading. I have done this repeatedly in the past. The only
> caveat is that you need to include DLLs for all the platforms where your
> Java program is expected to be run.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer