[vtkusers] Storing Maxwell-FEM-solutions

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 06:04:55 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I have this Maxwell-solver here and I'm asking myself if it's possible
to store the data in VTK.
There are two solution components: the charge density, \Omega -> \C,
and the vector potential, \Omega -> \R^3. Given a tetra-mesh, the
charge density values live in the points, and the vector potential
lives on all edges, as projections of the potential onto the edges, at
the midpoint of the edges (those are called Nedelec elements, pretty
much standard in H(curl)-conforming elements).
I've looked at the types of element I could use, and it seems that the
vtkQuadraticTetra at least has all the nodes I need. Not sure how to
tell VTK to store the charge density in the points only, and the
vector potential projection in the edge midpoints, though.
Well, maybe there are better options for this. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Nico