[vtkusers] Graphs in VTK

Scott Kelly stk at veritegroup.com
Mon Jul 9 13:17:55 EDT 2012

I'm attempting to use VTK to render large graphs and am having issues once I get to about 500 edges and 1000 vertices.  The 3D rendering is slow to rotate and zoom.  I'm using the built in vtkRandomGraphSource with a vtkForceDirectedLayoutStrategy.  I've seen some great graph examples on the web and I'm wondering how they were able to render the graphs and rotate them efficiently.  Any ideas on how to render large graphs efficiently in vtk?

Also, what ever happened to the development of OverView?  The latest ParaView doesn't have the graph layout view and has no way to import Tulip or GraphViz graphs.  Is the integration of OverView into ParaView still happening or has it been abandoned?

Thanks in advance,
Scott