[vtkusers] vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper ATI FireGL - AMD FirePro V7900 fails

Sergio Aguirre sergio.aguirre at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 22:31:16 EDT 2012

Hi everyone

I am testing a new video card and I am wondering
if vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper supports it.

I have the following configuration of the mapper:

vtkSmartPointer<vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper> dcmMapper =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper>::New();
dcmMapper->SetMaxMemoryInBytes(536870912);
dcmMapper->SetMaxMemoryFraction(0.75); // trigger GPU
dcmMapper->SetAutoAdjustSampleDistances(1); // KEY to GPU - Composite
dcmMapper->SetBlendModeToComposite();
dcmMapper->SetInputConnection(dcmVoi->GetOutputPort());

But the application crashes with the following message:

Assertion failed: "pre: valid_point_extent" && (this->CellFlag ||
(textureExtent[0]<textureExtent[1] && textureExtent[2]textureExtent[3]
&& textureExtent[4]<textureExtent[5]))), file
..\..\vtk-5.8.0\VolumeRendering\vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx, line
3089"

This is very confusing. When I read the documentation it suggests that
the data set is to large for the video card.

But its a data set I can load on a QuadroFX 3700 with 512MB. This card
(FirePro V7900) has 2GB of video RAM (although for testing I only call
512MB) .

Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? Are FirePro video cards
supported by VTK for volume rendering?

Thank you,

Sergio