[vtkusers] how do I know if vtk is installed?

Ilan ilan.tal at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 09:50:13 EST 2012

Thanks for your patience Seb,
Clearly I want to do whatever is the easiest and most straightforward thing
to do. I distribute my software as a jar file with a lib folder with
additional jar files. It doesn't look like a good idea to embed the vtk
software in the lib folder for example - it would be better to have a link
to kitware so the user always gets the latest software and not something I
downloaded ages ago.
I clearly need to have a jar file with the java wrappers and I assume this
is the vtk.jar file. It isn't clear to me that if I distribute my jar file,
that it would somehow provide the proper path. That has to come from the
installation of the user vtk, wherever he has put it. How does my jar file
know where it is? The System.loadLibrary needs how to do something
meaningful. As soon as I understand how it is supposed to work I can try it
on a foreign computer and sees what happens.

Ilan