[vtkusers] linking Vtk in vs2010

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 11:16:49 EST 2012

> Hello..I am pretty new with VTK and Visual Studio.
> I have done a very simple application in using VTK and Cmake.
> But I do not want to do it now in C make. I want to do it in Visual studio
> 2010.
> I do not know how and what should I link in vs in order to work.

If you are new to both Visual Studio and VTK I highly recommend you
use cmake. It will be much harder to work without it. The reason is
you will be basically on you own to setup the compiler settings, link
folders, link libraries and include folders pretty much all by hand.
If you use CMake pretty much all of this is done for you.

If you still want to do that look at each unresolved external symbol
that VC reports and find the folder for the source .cxx of the
unresolved external. And then prepend vtk to the name of the folder
that the source file is in and that is the name of the library you
need to link with. For example vtkMath.cxx is in the Common folder so
you would need to link add the full path of vtkCommon.lib to your
Linker\Input\Additional Dependencies.

John