[vtkusers] Getting Vtk to work

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 15:27:26 EST 2012

> I am trying to use Vtk on Windows 7 64-bit. I have tried both versions
> 5.8.0-win32.exe and 5.6.1-win32.exe. They both install sucessfully but they
> do not open up in Windows. The load stops at the screen shown in the
> attachment.

This executable is a really silly (unless you plan to use TCL) TCL
only version. I have no idea why it is still released, it seems to
only severely confuse everyone. I would abandon this exe and see my
answer to your next question.

> Is this because it will not run on windows 32bit? Is there anyway I can use
> the software on win 64 bit?

>From this page: http://vtk.org/VTK/resources/software.html :

"The installer for the Windows platform contains vtk.exe which is
essentially a wish.exe replacement that allows you to run VTK TCL
scripts without doing any other installation or configuration. Tcl/Tk
8.4.13 is statically linked into the 5.4.2 build of vtk.exe. For
Python or Java support, or for Linux or Macintosh systems, you will
have to compile VTK from source code using CMake and a native build
system for your platform."

Since you have to build it on your own machine, the 32/64 bit should
not be an issue, as you will automatically build the correct one.

> I already have python installed on my PC, could this be causing a problem?

Nope, shouldn't be a problem.

David