[vtkusers] WebGL 3D Viewer Demo

Sebastien Jourdain sebastien.jourdain at kitware.com
Tue Jan 10 09:15:22 EST 2012

Hi Sathish,

funnny thing two Sebastien talking on the same thread.
Regarding ParaViewWeb installation, it is true that you will have to
build some C++ code, but this is not too bad. And everything happen on
the server side, nothing need to be installed on the client side.
Moreover, all the documentation are available here:
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaViewWeb

Seb

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Sathish Kumar <kingvsk at aol.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> whole scene get split based on that maximum array size regarding which
>> array are needed to render it. Therefore, for large scene we end up
>> with a set of pieces that get loaded one after the other which allow
>> the user to see the scene to grow under their eyes.
>>
>> But as you can see this rely on a dynamic mechanism which update the
>> client as soon as the data has changed on the server side. In case of
>> static data observation, the system is kind of overkill. So what we
>> did was to add an extra feature that allow the ParaViewWeb user to
>> export its scene as a single html file that embed the geometry pieces
>> and the webgl code that will render it inside the browser. Basically
>> you end up with a single HTML file that represent a 3D scene that
>> don't need any plugin to render and see it. And that's the links that
>> I've previously send. Those links are simple export of interactive
>> session done through ParaViewWeb.
>>
>> And finally except for those static files, ParaViewWeb always deals
>> with runtime 3D data.
>> Regarding, the data size, they are pretty small as I remember, it's
>> basically the sample file given inside ParaView or VTK data. But
>> ParaViewWeb has been designed to handle much larger case as it could
>> rely on cluster to do the 3D processing if needed. Although, if you
>> are using the WebGL renderer, you will be limited by your web browser.
>>
>> Seb
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 3:06 AM, Sathish Kumar<kingvsk at aol.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Sebastien,
>>>
>>> Nice work. I am very much interested to get some feedback about your
>>> experience.
>>>
>>> Are you splitting the 3D data into multiple files?
>>> What is the size of 3D data file?
>>> Is the 3D constructed at runtime?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Sathish
>>>

>>> On Monday 09 January 2012 07:11 PM, Sébastien Valette wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Sathish,
>>>
>>> interesting webpage! It's good to finally see webGL stuff reaching the
>>> VTK
>>> ecosystem! We also have developed something in our lab, see:
>>>
>>> http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/~valette/epaule/
>>>
>>> it is a primitive simultaneous visualization of IRM slices and extracted
>>> parts of bones and lung. We've been doing this ourselves as there was no
>>> practical library to do that at that time.
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Sebastien
>>>

>>> Le 06/01/2012 05:49, Sathish Kumar a écrit :
>>>
>>> One of the features planned for Oviyam-5 is to view 3D images from a
>>> DICOM
>>> series and without a plugin using WebGL. We've just taken the first steps
>>> towards reaching that goal.
>>>
>>> A technology preview with pre-rendered images is available at this link.
>>> Be
>>> patient while loading the 3D models, it may take few minutes to load.
>>>
>>> Technologies used: VTK, HTML5, WebGL, JSON, Javascript, JS-Unzip...

>>> 1. Plugin-Free Design.
>>> 2. Supports all major modern browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari and
>>> Opera.(Use the latest versions available.The best performance is with
>>> Chrome
>>> and Firefox.
>>> 3. Supports IPhone, IPad and Android devices. However, due to the lack of
>>> memory, only the cube demo works at present
>>> 4. Load upto 36 MB of JSON 3D Data (Supports nearly 150
>>> instances/slices).
>>> 5. Zoom In/Out Option.
>>> 6. Pan Option.
>>> 7. One click Axial, Coronal, Sagittal Views.
>>> 8. 2D Rotation.
>>> 9. 3D Rotation.
>>>
>>> Upcoming features:
>>> 1. Data Compression(Zip/Unzip) support for faster data transfer.
>>> 2. Support for Handheld devices.
>>> 3. Look-Up Table to get colour.