[vtkusers] Installing VTK 5.8 on Windows 7 Environment

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 21:28:41 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Anuradha Madugalla
<anuradhamadugalla at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
> I'm using VTK4 on visual studio 10 in windows 7(32 bit) environment and I
> want to move on to VTK 5. From what I have read on net I have to have Cmake.
> But I'm not clear about the building of binary files. Like where to put them
> and all....

You can put them where you want.

I have my source for VTK on

x:\CMakeBased\Libraries\VTK-5.8

And my binaries  (for 3 different compiler combinations) on

X:\64bit\VC.100\Libraries\VTK-5.8
X:\64bit\VC.90\Libraries\VTK-5.8
X:\32bit\VC.100\Libraries\VTK-5.8

>I installed VTK5 but because of errors, i uninstalled it again.
> So i was wondering if any one of u can help me to install VTK 5 on my
> computer by clearly stating what to download and everythin. basically what i
> want is a step by step guide and please consider me to be a complete novice.
>
> Here are the specifications of my computer,
> 1. O/S- Windows 7 (32 bit)
> 2. Visual Studio- VS10
> 3. Cmake- CMake 2.8
> 4. Tcl/tk- 8.5