[vtkusers] Animating frames from separate .vtk files

Peter Bosler pbosler at umich.edu
Tue Feb 21 18:23:59 EST 2012

Good evening,

I have a fortran program that outputs a .vtk polyData file at each time step.  So far I have just been using ParaView to animate the frames, but I'd like more control of where the camera goes as time increases... For example, this code plots fluid flow on a rotating sphere-- I'd like the camera to rotate at the same rate as the sphere.  My data files typically contain O(100,000) either triangular or quadrilateral cells that represent a sphere, with scalar data for various physical quantities included in the .vtk files.

I've been playing with C++ scripts and I can plot individual frames of my data using vtkPolyDataReader, along with vtkAxesActors and vtkScalarBarActors.  The users guide mentions writing a time dependent reader (which I'm not sure I understand) and I found a discussion at http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Animation-of-multiple-input-files-in-VTK-td4553179.html that covers the same general problem, but there doesn't seem to be a final consensus on the methods discussed.  Is there a preferred strategy here?  Will future versions address this differently?

Thanks for your time,

Pete Bosler

-----
Pete Bosler

PhD Candidate / Instructor
Applied and Interdisciplinary Mathematics
University of Michigan

pbosler at umich.edu
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pbosler/
2848 East Hall 	(Central Campus)