[vtkusers] VTK External file

elvira87 valentina.luvisotto at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 10:03:07 EST 2012

Dear David,
thanks for your answer. I probably did not explain correctly the situation.
I need to convert my output file format from .GMV to VTK unstructured grid
(using xml or vtk ASCII format), so before switching to xdmf file format,
I'd like to know if it is possible to obtain something like this:

<VTKFile...>
    <Piece...>
        <Cells>
             <ExternalFile filename="cells.vtk"/>
        </Cells>
        <Points>
             <ExternalFile filename="points.vtk"/>
        </Points>
        <CellData>
             <DataArray ...>
             1 2 3 4 5 6  7  8  29 29 93993 9 84949 9
             </DataArray>
        </CellData>
        <PointData>
             <DataArray ...>
             1 2 3 4 5 6  7  8  29 29 93993 9 84949 9
             </DataArray>
        </PointData>
    </Piece>
</VTKFile>

or:

# vtk DataFile Version 2.0
name
ASCII
DATASET UNSTRUCTURED_GRID
POINTS
'external file =.....'
CELLS
CELL_TYPES
CELL_DATA
POINT_DATA

Is it possible?Can vtk (xml) file format support an external input?

Thanks again,

Valentina Luvisotto.