[vtkusers] Cut open surface with a polyline

Miguel Sotaquira msotaquira at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 11:58:46 EST 2012

Hi everyone,

I have a 3D open surface represented as an instance of vtkPolyData (see
this figure: http://tinypic.com/r/2gtu5wg/6). What I want to do is to cut
it in two parts, by manually tracing a line on the rendered mesh. Up to now
I've managed to manually trace such line (green line the figure), and thus
I know the set of mesh points/edges (a polyline) that belong to the path.
However, I don't know which VTK class can I use for cutting this mesh.

I've considered using vtkSelectPolyData or vtkImplicitSelectionLoop but in
both cases I need a closed loop to perform the cutting (and in my case I
have a polyline). I actually don't need to establish the cells/points
inside the loop, instead I need to determine the cells/points on each side
of the traced line.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Miguel