[vtkusers] dose anyone know how to convert dataset into polydata?

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 22:05:19 EST 2012

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM, gongweixue <gongweixue at sina.com> wrote:

>  I want to use vtkUnstructuredGridToPolyDataFilter,but it's a abstract
> class.
> and can you guys tell me which filter i should use?
>
> i used a DataSetReader as an input of TableBasedClipDataSet. The Output is
> also DataSet, and then i want to convert DataSet to PolyData, is there any
> information in DataSet lost?
>
> I will really appreciate any suggestion!

You can't convert a PolyData to a DataSet, a PolyData IS a DataSet. To
convert an UnstructuredGrid to a PolyData, you can use:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/PolyData/DataSetSurfaceFilter

("Surface" filter, because an UnstructuredGrid can have 3D cells (like
tetrahedra), but a PolyData can only have 2D cells (like polygons) ).

David