[vtkusers] Two questions regarding ITK Gradient Magnitude Recursive Gaussian Image Filter

Xiaopeng Yang yxp233 at postech.ac.kr
Tue Dec 4 08:00:50 EST 2012

Hello everyone,

I have two questions regarding ITK Gradient Magnitude Recursive Gaussian
Image Filter:

1)    In this filter, as far as we know, a finite difference approach is
used to calculate gradient magnitude of an image. My question is what
formula is used by the finite difference approach implemented in this
filter?

2)    The ITK Software Guide tells us that the computation process of this
filter is equivalent to first smoothing the image by convolving it with a
Gaussian kernel and then applying a differential operator. My question is
that is there a way to get an output of the smoothed image? I want to
visualize the computation process.

If any of you have any idea regarding the two questions, it would be very
appreciated if you share it with me. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Yang