[vtkusers] VtkFitsReader Update Query

Patrick Mulumba patrick.mulumba at uct.ac.za
Thu Aug 30 15:28:20 EDT 2012

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening All

I am busy developing a custom FITS image viewer with VTK and QT4.

I got hold of an old template from the following resource
http://www.visbox.com/prajlich/vtkFitsReader/

but I am struggling to compile because of the major changes from vtk over
the last decade or so.

I am rebuilding it from scratch into my current app but running into some
small problems.

I was able to get about 90% of it compiling but stuck with the following to
version conflicts.

Original source has the following:

vtkFloatScalars *scalars = vtkFloatScalars::New();

  scalars->Allocate(npixels);

but of course vtkFloatScalars has been removed and I have substituted it
with

vtkFloatArray *scalars = vtkFloatArray::New();

  scalars->Allocate(npixels);

and this seems to work.

The big problem is finding the replacement for

vtkStructuredPoints *output = (vtkStructuredPoints *) this->Output;

output->SetDimensions(naxes[0], naxes[1], naxes[2]);

  output->SetOrigin(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);

output->GetPointData()->SetScalars(scalars);

Now the big problem is the substitute for vtkStructuredPoints (apparently
its vtkImageData but its not compiling)

My Questions are as follows:

1)     What Is the appropriate substitute for vtkStructuredPoints in this
context?

2)     Is there an alternative FITS (Flexible Image Transport System) reader
for vtk or an updated vtkFitsReader class/function?

3)     An equivalent HDF5 reader instead of FITS .

Extra Info.

Original source code vtk version = vtk2.2

Current vtk version being used is= vtk5.4

Thanks in advance

Patrick.

###

UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the sender's individual capacity.

###